Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Meal Planner's Creed

I thoroughly enjoy finding an old, used cookbook at a garage or estate sale. There is something about picking up a tattered book and wondering about the woman who used it's recipes to impress others. When I find an antique cookbook, I cannot wait to come home, smell the worn, yellowed pages and read about what was expected of homemakers way back when.  I enjoy the language used to describe homemaking situations and the wording of little phrases that have gone out of style.  In my latest antique cookbook purchase, I found a wonderful "creed" that I would love to have hanging in my kitchen.  This is taken from a quite famous cookbook, Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking first copyrighted in 1947.  This creed is a wonderful reminder that meal planning is important to the entire family and should not be done hastily.  It reminds me a bit of Proverbs 31.


The Meal Planner's Creed

The health of my family is in my care; therefore -
   I will spare no effort in planning meals containing the right kinds of food in the right amounts.

Spending the food dollar to get the most for it is my
job; therefore - 
   I will choose foods from a wide variety, variously priced to save money without sacrificing health.

My family's enjoyment of food is my responsibility; therefore -
   I will increase their pleasure by preparing a variety of dishes attractive in color and form and pleasing in flavor and texture.

My family's health, security, and pleasure depend on my skill in planning meals; therefore -
   I will treat my job with the respect due it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment