Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Conscientious Personal Care

I haven't posted a new blog entry lately because I have been doing exhaustive research on all things natural. I cannot read enough about natural living right now and it is consuming my free time. I am close to completing Toxic Beauty by Samuel Epstein MD and I have been learning so much about the skin-care products we use every day. In an effort to be frugal and more natural, I have been researching recipes so I can make my own deodorant, toothpaste, face wash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and lip balm. Today, I made my first batch of deodorant (recipe found here: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/03/update-homemade-deoderant.html) and tested it by doing my hardest exercise video. I haven't reapplied it since this morning and so far, so good! I will also make my own shampoo tonight (using my own concoction adapted from various books and websites) and I will post the recipe once I decide it is effective and complete. I want to encourage others to conduct their own research into the cosmetic and personal-care industry. It is shocking how the public are unaware of the effects the chemicals have on our bodies. Some people may choose to ignore the evidence that states these products are toxic (as the FDA does) but I hope that most will choose to be wise about what they are putting on their skin every day. This is an uncomfortable subject because it is so convenient to believe everything America produces and/or approves is safe for us.  Unfortunately, the American public is held in the dark about many things as the desire for power increases.  Please know that I do not judge those who choose to ignore the toxicity in most products but I do hope that all would at least be aware that the FDA is not doing it's job.  Cosmetics are not being regulated and that is causing many allergic and toxic reactions that are contributing to various cancers and health problems.  It is a huge task to take on when switching to all-natural products.  It is not easy but it is something I must do as I am not able to ignore information once I have researched it.  Sadly, many "natural" products on the market are far from natural and contain just as many hazardous materials.  This is why it is important to know what chemicals are toxic and dangerous.  Because there are little to no regulations on the ingredients in cosmetics, companies are able to make many claims without testing these products before they are put on the store shelves.  If you are interested in what I've been learning, here are some of the books I've checked out at the library and websites that may be of interest to you.  I'll let you decide what to do with the information.

Books:

Toxic Beauty: How Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Endanger Your Health...And What You Can Do About It   by Samuel S Epstein MD

Not Just A Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry   by Stacy Malkan

Reader's Digest Natural Beauty:  Making and Using Pure and Simple Beauty Products  by Gail Duff

Organic Body Care Recipes: 175 Homemade Herbal Formulas for Glowing Skin & a Vibrant Self   by Stephanie Tourles

Making Aromatherapy Creams & Lotions: 101 Natural Formulas to Revitalize & Nourish Your Skin   by Donna Maria

Websites:

http://www.enviroblog.org/2009/09/whats-going-on-with-toxic-chemicals-in-cosmetics.html

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

http://www.safecosmetics.org/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/samuel-s-epstein/risks-from-toxic-ingredie_b_288780.html

http://www.thegreenguide.com/personal-care

2 comments:

  1. I feel so overwhelmed by this, so just tell me what to do!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very overwhelming. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy fix but you can go to cosmeticsdatabase.com and see the toxicity level in specific products. They review most products and update the database frequently. It is very informative!

    ReplyDelete