Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wheat Crackers Recipe

It is the end of the week and the end of our groceries so I've been trying new recipes in an effort to extend the time between grocery trips.  This has provided me with an opprotunity to be more frugal and creative in my meal planning and has even provided me with a few new favorite recipes.  Today I tried making wheat crackers from a recipe I've had for a while now.  We're out of bread and yeast so this recipe was perfect for eating with cheese, tuna, or peanut butter and really would be great with any dip.  These are so simple to make and so addictive.  I love having a cracker recipe that doesn't have any sugar or preservatives and is healthy for the family.  My kids LOVE them so I'm sure I will be making these quite often.


Wheat Crackers

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups organic white flour
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
More sea salt for sprinkling

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, white flour, and 3/4 tsp salt.  Pour in the vegetable oil and water; mix until just blended (blend will be dry).
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough as thin as possible.  Place dough on an ungreased baking sheet, and mark squares out with a knife, but do not cut through.  Prick each cracker with a fork a few times and sprinkle with salt.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in preheated oven or until crisp and light brown. (My crackers were a bit thick so I had to bake them much longer.)  When cool, remove from baking sheet, and separate into individual crackers.

I baked one batch in the oven and one batch in my convection oven and both worked well.  The convection oven crackers were ready in much less time of course.  Next time I am going to try adding ground flax seed to the mix...about 1/2 cup.  You could also add dried herbs, garlic, or other seasonings to create a flavored cracker.  Cinnamon and sugar would be a great topping instead of the sea salt for a yummy sweet snack!  The options are endless!

*recipe found at www.allrecipes.com and submitted by Ray Anne

3 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I can't wait to try it. Because our grocery bill has gone through the roof since we started eating organic(still not as bad as other people I know), we've been trying to decide what is important and what doesn't matter. For us, we decided organic, grass fed meat, organic cage-free eggs and organic milk, and organinc fruits and veggies were top priorities. I also buy organic pasta, sauce, and breads. However, we decided that for the few snacks the kids eat that aren't fruit, we couldn't afford to do organic..you just can't do it all! Soo, I went to Aldi's hoping to stock up on graham crackers and animal crackers, but was dismayed to find that they both had high fructose corn syrup in them. I bought raisins and found some granola bars that didn't and that was pretty much it! All that to say that a simple, healthy cracker recipe will be much-appreciated. To answer your question from fb, the bread recipe I used may have been the same you used...it is the first one that comes up on allrecipes.com under simple whole wheat bread submitted by anita crabb. It was quite tasty, but I had/have my doubts about how it would hold up with a sandwhich. Bobby made a pb&j with it, though, and he thought it worked fine. It is probably a matter of preference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, you're seriously my hero!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I know what you mean about the costs of organic...we are seeing that right now and that is another reason why I am trying to make more things from scratch. I even found a granola bar recipe that I'm planning on trying...I'll let you know how it turns out! I'm thinking of asking for a dehydrator for Christmas so I can make my own fruit leather, dried apples, and raisins for the kids that way they can have healthy snacks although I don't know if the cost would be any better. The bread recipe I used was from Betty Crocker. My husband loved it and did use it for sandwiches so I'll probably try it again. These crackers were so good that we finished them off today. I hope you like them!

    Sacha, you are so funny! :~)

    ReplyDelete