Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What do I mean by a "true stay-at-home mom"?

Well, first of all, I am a true stay-at-home mom because I really must stay at home. All day. Every day. You see, we only have one car and that has been the case for quite some time. Many circumstances and sacrifices have led us to this situation therefore I am at home with our twins without a way to go anywhere during the day. I try to view this as a blessing in disguise since I get to figure out this whole homemaking thing on my own. It has been a journey that I have only just begun and I feel as though I am learning something new every day. If I had a car I may not be as willing to learn how to sew, bake, create weekly menus, organize, and learn that my family is my “ministry”. And when I do have a car I hope that the skills and lessons I am learning now will stay with me and my priorities will not falter. Secondly, I am a true stay-at-home mom because I am not blogging about how perfect I am or how perfect you should be. I am blogging about the struggle between trying to be a godly woman – being a manager of my home, learning what it means to respect and honor my husband, teaching my children, finding joy in my day-to-day tasks, knowing that through Christ we see all things- and the desire to have the things of this world – money, clothes, a bigger house, a new car, etc. Third, I am going to homeschool our children and that is a journey I have yet to embark upon. I will continue being at home with my children, raising them, teaching them, and showing them the love of Christ. I’m sure I will have much to write on that subject in the coming years.

I will be writing about crafting projects (some that may turn out beautifully and others that look, well, untidy), book reviews, baking, children, trying to live a more “godly” life, and anything else I decide to create or that I find entertaining that I have learned while at home.

Through this blog, I hope to inspire, encourage, humor, and hopefully let other moms know that they are not alone in figuring out the life of a homemaker. A homemaker’s life is unique and beautiful and I wish to show the world how being at home is a privilege. In this current day, women have been encouraged to forsake their homes and focus on the world and “their needs”. God has given us our beautiful families, placed us in the home to be managers and create a haven from the outside stress of life, and has given us a safe place to learn without being judged. The home is a place of unbiased creativity and I hope to show that through my blog.

3 comments:

  1. I love this, Renee! Thanks for writing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ne! You are my adorable, God loving, beautiful, inspiring lil sis! I couldn't be prouder and I adore all that you pour into my precious lil niece and nephew! If I hand picked a little sister, it would be you!;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see you use your gift of writing by starting your blog!! I've already seen what a good mother you are to my twin grandbabies, a loving wife, and devoted homemaker.
    Couldn't be more proud!

    ReplyDelete